This list has been curated together after a half dozen or so years looking for the “perfect solution” for a number of problems I regularly face.
I spend a lot of time deeply considering the items and tools I have and use. It seems silly to me to use something with any degree of regularity that I do not find 100% satisfying or functional. Some of them are material things, but I’ve also taken the time to highlight software that makes my life better.
I hope this list inspires you to further scrutinize the things you carry.
Outlining these objects was inspited by the work of Jeremy Maluf.
- Thiers Issard Tonneau Folding Knife: Cocobolo/Steel - I need a corkscrew on my pocket knife, which is great because it reduces decision paralysis to two knife makers. This is the best one.
- Wingback Wallet: Black Leather - Carries exactly all the cards I need and nothing more.
- 3D Printed Money Clip: Black PLA - I don’t like to carry cash, but when I do, this suffices.
- Craighill Wilson Keyring: Titanium - Highly effective, beautiful, simple keyring.
- Kyocera 902KC Flip Phone: Black. Read more about it here.
- Travelers Journal - Passport Size: Black Leather - Accept no imitation. Dotgrid notebooks, plastic cardholder.
- Hobnichi Techo Day Planner: One journal for what needs to be thought, this for what needs to be done.
- Onyx Boox Palma: The Boox ecosystem of easy eBook Transfer has made this my favorite device of the year so far.
- Sony ICD-UX570 Digital Voice Recorder: Journaling my feelings has never really clicked for me. Ranting into a microphone on a sidewalk corner certainly does.
- Modded iPod Classic 5th Gen: Has 500GB Memory, which currently holds my entire 1000+ record library with no issues. See my fundamental principles for information of why I use this instead of something else.
I prefer a watch that is lightweight, with a white dial and steel bezel. When I am doing film development work, a chronometer is crucial. With that in mind, here are a few watches I frequently use.
- Timex Waterbury Piezoelectric - Brown Leather: Gift from Partner. Timex keeps on ticking.
- Vintage CTAPT Mechanical - Black NATO: Minimalistic, reliable, functional.
- Svalbard FA30: Black Leather - Limited edition Decimal Watch. Current Daily Driver.
- Cargo Works Shoulder Bag: Black Nylon - Compact and discreet, and even though I fill it with so many things, it still has space remaining.
- Kaweco Liliput: Brass - A very good fountain pen that in all my years of using it has never dried out or spilled ink.
- Art of Play Ladymoon/Papercuts Playing Cards (Gift from Partner)
- FED50 Film Camera: Favorite Point and Shoot. Usually loaded with Ilford HP-5.
- iFixit Moray Precision Screwdriver Set.
- Commerical Electric M1015B Analog Multimeter. Cheap & Cheerful.
- Muji Denim Jeans: Slim Fit. Best jeans in price category.
- Custom Black Peacoat: If you wear something every day, you need to get it custom made.
- Red Wing Iron Rangers: Black - Every day, comfortable boot.
- Fluevog Twin Turbines: Black - Fancy shoes for fancy events.
- Ollie Quinn Glasses: Arlo Frame Style for Readers, Noramy for Sunglasses.
- Grado Labs SR80e Prestige Headphones: Black - My favorite all-time headphones and a critical tool for how I listen to music and process audio. All the music I have ever loved has been listened to through Grados.
- Fiio E10K DAC: Drives the Headphones.
- Tula Mic
- FORMSKÖN Water Bottle: Stay Hydrated.
- Gridfinity Organizers: 3D Printed Desk Organizers that are fully modular and stackable. Life Changing.
I use a Framework 13" as my Daily Driver. It is repairable and lightweight.
I have been a user of Arch Linux for many years.
Recently I have moved over to Manjaro after a series of issues with reversions in Intel drivers.
- Obsidian: My second brain; Anything I read and write gets dumped into here.
- VSCode: You can either spend time tinkering with your IDE or you can actually get work done.
- Firefox: We must all do our part to prevent a monopoly in Browser Engines.
- New Tab Override: I use this to set my new tab to my Homepage.
- Unpaywall: Helps redirect from journal paywalls to open-access alternatives.
- uBlock Origin: I will not look at the ads. You can’t make me. A world without this plugin is one where I don’t use the internet.
Some things have been replaced over the years, often due to changes in how I live and work. They’re still of note and quality, so they’ve been archived below.
- Laguoile Folding Knife: Rosewood/Bronze - Keeps sharp, beautiful, simple as can be. When closed, the flat spine can open bottles, and a practiced hand can even open cans. Changed to the Thiers Issard Tonneau Folding Knife because I need the corkscrew.
Nothing Ear (1) Headphones: Black - All wireless earbuds are bad and these are the least bad. Primarily used for taking phone calls.These broke after one year of semi-infrequent use. Would not recommend. Just buy Skullcandy Dimes if you need wireless earbuds, they’ll break just as fast but it won’t hurt the wallet as much when they do. AdNauseam: A plugin so good they banned it from the Chrome Store.Not working any longer, switched to uBlock Origin Moaan Ink Palm 5: Green - The best pocket sized eReader. Syncs with ReadWise & Obsidian.Upgraded to the Onyx Boox Palma Rollei 35 T Camera With Ilford HP5+ FilmShutter Failure caused Early Retirement.